During WW2 the New Forest was important, with 12 airfields in the area. Stoney Cross was one of the largest and construction started in 1942. At its height over 1000 people were stationed here.
First to fly from here were the 123 wing of the RAF Army Co-operation Squadrons (fighter bombers and photo reconnaissance). The airfields's main runway was over a mile long, making it ideal for training with glider tugs and troop carrying aircraft by 38 wing RAF. In April 1944 prior to D-Day, the 367th Fighter group of USAF arrived, replaced in July by the 387th Bomb Group.
In 1946 flying ceased and the District Council used buildings as homes for local families at what is now Long Beech campsite.
|
![]() |
|
![]() |
|
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
|